[Solved] ZIPmagic installation won't start

For all your technical questions and concerns.

[Solved] ZIPmagic installation won't start

Postby xfire » Sat May 13, 2017 10:52 am

Hi !

I'm just trying to run the ZIPmagic on my devices to check its performance and to decide how many licenses would I'd buy.
But, some questions appear :

1. Do I have to buy separate license for each of my devices (laptop and tablet ?) or - as I am the only person using them - I can use single license bound to my account ?

2. I can't try ZipMagic on my TOSHIBA WT8-B264 tablet at all. I mean, it won't install. The setup seems to start, but after initial phase it just closes its window that says "Please wait while Windows configures ZIPmagic" - and nothing more happens. But, when I display the context menu, it allows me to run "uninstall" action, just like something was installed in fact. Have you seen maybe such problem before ? I've tried to re-download the setup package a few times already, but no success, unfortunately. So... I can't decide if I go with another license for this tablet or not ;-)

Anyway, on my laptop it seems to work absolutely beautifully, what's most important for me - I can't feel any slowdowns nor other performance impacts. Looks great !

Best regards,
Martin
xfire

Re: ZIPmagic installation won't start

Postby admin » Sat May 13, 2017 1:52 pm

Hi Martin,

Try to download the EXE installer for your tablet:

www.zipmagic.co/zipmagic.exe

Let me know how that version fares for your installation experience?

As for your second question - yes, you would need two licenses, to use the software on both your tablet and your laptop - since both disks would be doubled effectively :)

Enjoy!
ZIPmagic
The Next Generation Data Compression Platform
admin
Site Admin

Postby xfire » Sat May 13, 2017 4:04 pm

Hi again !

Thanks for a fastest reply in the world ;-)
I have downloaded the installer from your link and now it seems to be working normally. I'll try to compress the tablet storage and I'll share the result.

One more question, maybe... Is it so that the whole compression mechanism is working (during normal usage of compressed disk) somewhere in the background, compressing/uncompressing data "on the fly" or is it necessary to start the compression procedure (like that initial one) from time to time ?

BR,
Martin
xfire

Postby xfire » Sat May 13, 2017 5:42 pm

Ok, so it installed and started properly, but then after the compression process everything failed. It started with message that it can't read from ZIPmagic's WIMboot and then the device rebooted to the repair procedure. But the repair was unsuccessful, so at the moment I'll have to reinstall Windows.
I feel like Toshiba made some changes to the overall disk structure, because there is also some "Toshiba repair" software available on the disk - hidden somewhere. It's a pity, but well... I'll learn to live with 64GB storage ;-)

So I think I'll just get two licenses - for my laptop and another one for my wife's.
xfire

Postby admin » Sat May 13, 2017 9:47 pm

You would need to recompress occasionally to keep your disk in top form - you may analyze a disk using ZIPmagic to see how much "garbage" this would collect from disk, and how much new uncompressed data you would be compressing.

Can you let me know which Toshiba model this happened to? ZIPmagic has been hardened to operate even in the most inane of OEM setups, so I am disappointed to hear that you ran into a problem with it here, and I would love the opportunity to solve it for you (and all other customers who might run into it as well).

Did you run into the issue with DriveSpace or DoubleSpace? Would you provide pictures of the exact error message?
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby xfire » Sun May 14, 2017 10:51 am

Hi again,

So, my tablet is a Toshiba Encore 2, the exact model number is WT8-B264.
I've just reinstalled the OS on it (it was really difficult to force the device into windows setup boot from the USB) but finally I did it.
I might risk another tour of compression just to see if the problems appear again, and then I'll try to take some photos of error message windows.
If they appear again, of course.
And for the last question... I'm really not sure which component was that when failure occured, for sure it happened between this process of compression "with a graph", right after this (before this "old fahioned" windows with disk map). But as this is highly not precise description from me, I'll try to do it again and - as I said - show the results if problems appear again. Let's make this great product even better ! :-)

BR,
Martin

EDIT : It was DoubleSpace ! Now I have started a fresh installation of ZIPmagic on the tablet and now I can see the difference between DoubleSpace and DriveSpace. Starting compression again...
xfire

Postby xfire » Sun May 14, 2017 11:56 am

Ok, so... Full success here !

This time it went OK, no problems. I even started to record a video of the final compression stage, but it was not necessary at all. Everything worked absolutely flawlessly ! I ended up with 1,8:1 compression ratio and my total disk space is reported now as 103 GB instead of about 57 (with slightly over 84GB free).
Amazing ! :-D

One final question : is there any discount more than 50% possible from the "in-app exploration" ? Just out of curiosity...
I know I'll get some "volume discount", too, but it does not hurt to ask ;-)

... so now I'm starting my 30-days evaluation period, but I can say for now : it's amazing :-)

EDIT : I forgot to add : I really appreciate your customer support. It's really important to me that I feel like there is someone on the other side willing to help me - and doing it in quick and efficient way. Thank you !
xfire

Postby admin » Mon May 15, 2017 12:04 am

You're very welcome!

It sounds like you've reached level 2 in the achievement game. Congratulations! There is one higher level above you ;)

Even without the volume discount, the level 3 achievement reduces your cost for three PCs into something less than the cost of one PC.

Happy hunting!!!
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby xfire » Mon May 15, 2017 10:44 pm

Hi !

So, I'm more than happy to share my experience with ZIPmagic !
On my Toshiba (the problematic one) it is working flawlessly, the disk space increase is also noticeable, but what is incredible for me now it is :
THE STARTUP/SHUTDOWN TIME !
This is first thing that I've noticed after the installation. The device needs literally two-three seconds to boot to the login screen and about the same for the shutdown.
So, apart form diskspace I gained better performance.

The same goes for my second tablet which is significantly weaker : It has only 1GB of RAM (vs 2GB in Toshiba) and only 16GB of storage space (which is reported as 36 GB now).
In case of this device the performance gain is even more noticeable - it is really useable now, much better than before disk compression. Funny fact is, that I've bought the Toshiba tablet a few days ago to replace this worse one - because it was so laggy and uncomfortable to use.

And about the diskspace now. The 16GB storage pool was reduced after fresh installation of Windows 10 Creators Update down to 3.31GB
Photo : https://goo.gl/photos/f89ytAyi99pLAP5d8
Then, to get some space back, I have used the OS compression (the trick with COMPACT.EXE command). Slightly better now, 4.74GB of storage space (but still, ridiculously low amount) : https://goo.gl/photos/in8iENhv5jwrvaLU9
Next step was to install ZIPmagic and what I noticed was 9.58GB reported as free storage space (out of 25GB total storage reported) : https://goo.gl/photos/1RHpdVxAdn7u3tra7
So... I thought : "OK, it's time to test this magician ;-)" - and I have started to copy data to this free storage space, just to see if I can really save more than that initially reported 4.74GB of data - or if it's another snake oil, maybe ?
To be really nasty, I have selected some folders from my pendrive to copy to the tablet which contained mostly ROM images for Android devices, I have also included a installation image for a game from GOG. Such data files are typically somehow compressed already, so it's more difficult to squeeze more from them.
Then I started to copy the initial chunk of data. I have selected about 5GB of files, and I thought : if they fit into the free storage space on the tablet, then I'll believe it really gained some more space. It was just a little more than initiially reported free space, so even this increase would convince me this really works.
... and it worked. To my surprise, this worked. The data was copied and there still was some free space reported (unfortunately, I don't remember exact number).
Then I thought : OK, let's push it to the limits. I run a recompression and gained some more free space reported.
Then I started to copy some more data folders, with mixed type of data : device drivers, log files.
Fro mtime to time I was running out of space, but after few seconds the free space started to increase... then I could continue copying data.
I have repeated the process with recompression in-between the data copying attempts. Finally, I end up with just about 200MB of free space.
Then I checked the size of my "test" folder : it contained 9.95GB of data ! : https://goo.gl/photos/1RHpdVxAdn7u3tra7
I could not believe it, but it was like this, exactly. Even better, after last recompression the free space was reported as about additional 1GB.
Of course, it depends of the type of data that I'd like to store there, as not every type of data can be compressed equally good, but still... it's amazing.

For me it is convincing that the software is really powerful. Not only really increased my storage space, but made my weak device really enjoyable now. The performance gain is obvious for me.
It's worth every money.

... and yes, I have discovered the 3rd discount level already :-)

All the best for you, Simon :-)

BR,
Marcin
xfire

Re: [Solved] ZIPmagic installation won't start

Postby admin » Thu May 18, 2017 12:05 pm

That's great to hear!

Usually DiskZIP is the performance brand, but as you have observed, on lower-end disks (even flash storage), you would notice substantial acceleration during real-world use with even ZIPmagic.

For premium disks, including SATA 3 and NVMe connected SSD drives, you will observe acceleration effects with DiskZIP (even where you may not observe such acceleration with ZIPmagic). While ZIPmagic is geared for maximum space, DiskZIP is geared for maximum speed - of course, both products have overlap (as you found, ZIPmagic does improve speed, and of course, DiskZIP creates extra disk space as well).

Users have also reported that a DiskZIP optimized disk was used 20 times less than its identically-configured, identically-used, non-optimized counterpart, according to S.M.A.R.T. results, over a 30 day testing period. Yet another benefit, which I'm sure also applies to ZIPmagic.

Last but not least, let's not forget that one-click system restore protects you against all malware - your compressed disk image is impregnable!

DiskZIP has also been gamified, so we have a product for every budget - and each kind of hardware, from entry level to industrial strength.

I knew you'd also discover the last discount sooner than later :)

May all PC users everywhere enjoy!!!
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Return to Support