[Solved] Imaging and Partitioning with ZipMagic

For all your technical questions and concerns.

Re: Imaging and Partitioning with ZipMagic

Postby ronald739 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:04 pm

OK, the thing I don't get here is - you've already run ZIPmagic DoubleSpace 3 successfully by this point, at least once, right?

Yes DoubleSpace 3 has completed "offline" successfully which has run after requesting a reboot at all the times i have used it.

ZIPmagic DoubleSpace 3 always automatically invokes ZIPmagic DriveSpace 7 (the `optimizer` in the screenshot you sent), and it invokes this while processing your disk *offline* - while Windows itself is not running (so it can access all your locked files and process them too).

After DoubleSpace 3 "offline" DriveSpace 7 run and also completed successfully before my system restarted. Running Optimize "online" is the issue i have upon reboot.

So *assuming* ZIPmagic DriveSpace 7 compresses some files it *shouldn't* be compressing, it would be doing so while invoked by ZIPmagic DoubleSpace 3 (running offline) as well. In fact, it would compress *even more* of those files while running offline, since all your files would be accessible in this special processing stage that also runs ZIPmagic DoubleSpace 3.

But you are reporting problems only *after* this step has already executed successfully. ZIPmagic DriveSpace 7 always compresses *fewer* files while running from within Windows (the `optimize` operation), so how could it then break things which didn't break before?

See my conundrum? I would love to get to the bottom of this...

I can only say it happens "online" using the optimize "online" and after a reboot i end up with the above "Boot Errors" as mentioned in my previous post.

When you are reinstalling Windows, would you be able to immediately install ZIPmagic after reinstalling *just the OS*, and then running ZIPmagic DoubleSpace 3 to fully compress your disk immediately after the OS is installed?

Will do. This i have done 2 times after Win 10 CU and all drivers (Intel etc) have been installed.

Then, when that finishes (which will also automatically run ZIPmagic DriveSpace 7), and you're back in Windows, *again before installing any other third party software*, please choose the `Optimize` function, and let me know if it still renders your PC unbootable! I'm pretty sure it won't, as that wouldn't make logical sense (but I'm keeping an open mind here, all the same).

Yes i will try this and let you know the outcome. I have tried and successfully run DoubleSpace 3 "Re compress" with other third party software on the system before and it has completed successfully. i only have the issue using the optimize function online and then after a reboot.

It is disappointing to hear of A/V software causing problems with ZIPmagic. I would encourage you to contact your A/V vendor and escalate the false positive directly. You cannot blame them for being too careful in this day and age, but it helps to prevent the nuisance for others.

Yes i have done this and the AV did not seem to cause any issues with the App.(2 days ago)

Great, this looks like an interesting tool!

I'll be sure to check it out, but I ask for your understanding that I cannot contact every third party raising a false positive with ZIPmagic.

If you are already a member of their community, perhaps you could escalate this false positive to them directly?

The errors/warnings it raises with the ZIPmagic free disk space projection driver seemed legitimate enough to worry even me! :lol:

This i understand and should not be your issue, but i was asked where the log i got come from.
ronald739

Postby admin » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:34 pm

I suppose that's fair enough. Did you have the following info handy:

1) Your exact Windows version
2) Whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit
3) Whether you are running the latest ZIPmagic version (downloaded fresh from the website) or an earlier build
4) Whether you are running the consumer or the server edition

Also I'll ask:

5) Whether your PC is UEFI or BIOS based

Thanks!
ZIPmagic
The Next Generation Data Compression Platform
admin
Site Admin

Postby ronald739 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:17 pm

2) 64 - bit
3) Fresh from my email on the 10t'h of July, Not sure if this the latest build
4) Consumer
5) GPT UEFI

As to question No.1 i will look into this and give the exact info when i get my system started. It would be the latest stable build of Windows 10 CU with all updates installed.
ronald739

Postby admin » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:52 pm

Thanks, I'll escalate this information and let you know if we find anything internally. Assuming we don't (which is probably going to be the case):

Since you have stated that the issue already occurs on a completely clean installation of Windows, I may need to connect to your PC via a TeamViewer connection to take a look around; in a completely clean state. Please let me know if you're OK with this?

I would probably also need your help during and after the process (to compress the disk with ZIPmagic DoubleSpace 3 first, and then retry, etc.)
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:37 am

The team would also like to know what compression grade you used?
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby ronald739 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:43 am

The team would also like to know what compression grade you used?

Not sure about the compression grade, but i used LZS 90 with the slider half way between "Max Speed" & "Max Compression".

Since you have stated that the issue already occurs on a completely clean installation of Windows, I may need to connect to your PC via a TeamViewer connection to take a look around; in a completely clean state. Please let me know if you're OK with this?

Yes I'm OK with this.

I would probably also need your help during and after the process (to compress the disk with ZIPmagic DoubleSpace 3 first, and then retry, etc.)

Happy to help. I'll let you know when i have re-installed Windows hopefully I'll have some time to do this tomorrow. Do you want me to have Zipmagic installed ready to go or just a clean install of Windows?
ronald739

Postby admin » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:10 am

Great- halfway through, that is what they wanted to know. Thank you.

Sure, just have Windows ready to go, and I'll install it directly to make sure we're not missing anything obvious.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:58 pm

I have great news, the team have been able to reproduce the issue internally at the middle compression grade.

We should have a fix ready to download soon.

Thank you!
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby ronald739 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:44 am

Ok, I'll wait for the fix and give it another go as i now have a fresh install of Windows.
ronald739

Postby admin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:50 pm

The issue affects all compression grades between MaxSpeed and MaxSpace. You can use either MaxSpeed or MaxSpace without issues today.

In fact, the issue is only limited to ZIPmagic DriveSpace 7, when running from within Windows, at the XPRESS8K and XPRESS16K compression grades. When you use ZIPmagic DoubleSpace 3 and compress your disk at anything between MaxSpeed and MaxSpace, the `Optimize` function uses XPRESS8K or XPRESS16K when invoking ZIPmagic DriveSpace 7 to optimize your disk online.

We are still researching if running ZIPmagic DriveSpace 7 stand-alone at the XPRESS8K and XPRESS16K settings reproduces the issue. The whole team thanks you for your help in identifying the issue and helping us fix it for all our users. Thank you once again! :D
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Support