DoubleSpace issue

For all your technical questions and concerns.

DoubleSpace issue

Postby carlconm » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:40 pm

Hi

I installed Windows 8.1 Update 1 on a 30GB SSD. I'm trying to compress the drive, but I got this error: Unable to find recovery partition.

Waiting for support.

Greetings.
Attachments
ZIPMAGIC.JPG
ZIPMAGIC.JPG (48.33 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
carlconm

Re: DoubleSpace issue

Postby admin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:41 pm

Usually when you install Windows, it creates this recovery partition. Note that this is a very small partition at the very start of your disk (About 200-350 megs tops), and not the 5 giga-ish larger partition that may exist at the very end of your disk; which is typically an OEM partition.

Since you've mentioned that you've installed Windows yourself, did you manually create a partition and install Windows onto there - or did you just select the target disk, and install onto there instead? If the former, please let me know and I'll see if I can reproduce the issue. And if you are doing a clean install, you can always try again by deleting the target disk and then just letting Windows itself create all partitions.
ZIPmagic
The Next Generation Data Compression Platform
admin
Site Admin

Postby carlconm » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:02 am

I made a clean install, formatting the original recovery partition of 350 MB, and installing Windows on the partition with the remaining storage (27 GB).

I've installed Windows like 3 times today, so if it's necessary to do it again, please tell me.

And I have a question. In my 30GB SSD, Windows is using now 15,8GB. I want to compress it to the smallest space possible. What do you recommend?
carlconm

Postby admin » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:44 am

You can run the following command:

Code: Select all
reagentc /info

And send me the output.

Alternatively, you can just go ahead and delete all partitions on your target SSD, all of them, and then just select the empty disk - without creating any partitions - and let Windows create as it sees fit.

This will ensure that the small recovery partition will be created properly.

DoubleSpace will give you the maximum disk space. However you may need to recompress your disk (to make up more room for new programs) more than once for this. The minimum number of hops to get the maximum disk space would be as follows:

1) Fill your disk up completely.
2) Compress with DriveSpace. Fill it up again completely after compression.
3) Compress with DoubleSpace. Fill it up again completely.
4) Repeat #2 through #3 until you are totally out of disk space.

When #4 is complete, you'll have most likely stored at least 60 GB of data on your 30 GB SSD, if not more.

Update: When compressing with DoubleSpace, ensure you use the MaxSpace compression setting.
ZIPmagic
The Next Generation Data Compression Platform
admin
Site Admin

Return to Support