How to restore zipmagic.wim from undo disk to system

For all your technical questions and concerns.

How to restore zipmagic.wim from undo disk to system

Postby oile » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:27 pm

Hello, I've been using zipmagic doublespace with an undo disk.
After the last time, I've messed up with bluetooth driver and I'm forced to restore the system.
How can I use the zipmagic.wim to restore instead of the default recovery partition?
oile

Re: How to restore zipmagic.wim from undo disk to system

Postby admin » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:16 pm

You can do a System Restore which does an uncompressed restore (without any compression) following the steps below:

1. Start DoubleSpace after inserting your Undo Disk.
2. Double-click the DoubleSpace icon in the app:
icon.PNG
icon.PNG (24.76 KiB) Viewed 6485 times
3. Deselect the Backup box. Check the System Restore box (if you want to do a compressed restore instead, just don't check it). Verify the image path is correct:
options.PNG
options.PNG (34.34 KiB) Viewed 6485 times
4. Choose OK, and then Compress. Proceed as normally.

Enjoy :)
ZIPmagic
The Next Generation Data Compression Platform
admin
Site Admin

Postby oile » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:14 am

Thanks I'll try it!
The zipmagic.wim in c: and the one in undo disk are exactly the same after the second, third, doublespace successful run?

Moreover I've noticed that by default windows doesn't have the wimboot.wim on c: making it save its space, instead now there is it eating space and showing itself in c:
It seems wrong to me. Like I'd have doublespace benefits only removing it but I know it's impossible
oile

Postby admin » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:12 am

Yes, the WIM files are absolutely identical, because you are using an Undo Disk. The Undo Disk lets you restore your system if something goes wrong during an operation, or it lets you cancel an operation before the WIM file has been fully created, safely. Without an Undo Disk, you'd be dead in the water if you lose power or anything goes wrong during the backup or restore phase.

It is better to have the WIM file in the C: drive, because then you can delete any unnecessary recovery partitions which are very small in size (and would not accommodate larger WIM files anyways), and you can keep growing the WIM file by recompression through DoubleSpace any time you install more apps and add more files to your target PC. If you think about it, this is the only practical option, actually.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby oile » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:58 am

admin wrote:Yes, the WIM files are absolutely identical, because you are using an Undo Disk. The Undo Disk lets you restore your system if something goes wrong during an operation, or it lets you cancel an operation before the WIM file has been fully created, safely. Without an Undo Disk, you'd be dead in the water if you lose power or anything goes wrong during the backup or restore phase.

It is better to have the WIM file in the C: drive, because then you can delete any unnecessary recovery partitions which are very small in size (and would not accommodate larger WIM files anyways), and you can keep growing the WIM file by recompression through DoubleSpace any time you install more apps and add more files to your target PC. If you think about it, this is the only practical option, actually.

So the default Microsoft way of handling WIMBoot is to not mantain the .wim in C: ?

Is it possible to use DoubleSpace to restore ANY .wim file?
Because I've problems booting from USB my OEM restore image, it could be my only way to restore it
oile

Postby admin » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:07 am

Yes, Microsoft does not put the WIM in the C: drive, because they do not use WIM as a disk doubling tool. They use it only as a tool to reduce the operating system footprint. For other things that you wished Microsoft could do with WIM but cannot, please see:

www.zipmagic.co/doublespace.html

This page lists 11 reasons why you need DoubleSpace - we could make that 12 reasons, having the WIM on the C: drive being added to the list.

As for your other question; yes, you should be able to use DoubleSpace to restore any WIM, including your OEM provided WIM, to the target system. Just do so in System Restore mode, so the WIM is not placed on the C: drive and instead extracted as a flat-installation in system recovery mode, which is what you desire.

Of course, you cannot extract a WIM that you used to double your disk in System Restore mode without getting a disk twice the size of your own; so don't try this with WIMs from disks that you have compressed to contain more than the data they could ordinarily contain uncompressed.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Return to Support