Question about file and issues trying to rerun doublespace

For all your technical questions and concerns.

Question about file and issues trying to rerun doublespace

Postby hometownnerd » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:16 pm

Good morning, I am back again. I have used doublespace in the past few weeks and I have just installed visual studio and was hoping to rerun doublespace to grab some more space back, but it seems every time I run it, it fails with miscellaneous issues, of course, since I have had issues in the past I am not surprised. I followed the same process I followed the first time I ran doublespace that worked, but now it is not working. What log files will show me and maybe you what issues I am having? I see scratch files but I am not sure if they are your files. Another question, I know this is probably a stupid question, is it possible to delete the zipmagic.wim file on the root, or is that the file that houses all of the files for my OS? I was expecting a bit more room than I have.

Thanks again for your help,
Larry
hometownnerd

Re: Question about file and issues trying to rerun doublespa

Postby admin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:44 pm

Sorry to hear of your issues. This is not the typical DoubleSpace user experience.

Can you please provide a little more detail regarding your problems? At a minimum, a screen capture of each issue you are running against will be helpful.

Together with these screen captures, we can then diagnose what might be the problem, and fix it for all users.

As for your second question, you cannot delete ZIPmagic.wim - it houses all of your compressed data. Even if you try, the OS will disallow.
ZIPmagic
The Next Generation Data Compression Platform
admin
Site Admin

Postby hometownnerd » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:05 pm

Ok, I had to perform a backup first and then ran doublespace it made it through the backing up to the wim file but then it gets to the applying image and it bombs out. I selected the standard method and picked the selection almost to max space. I will try again with the settings I have used in the past so you can get an idea of how that worked, after I apply the backup image again. I will grab the scratch file and then screen grab, I am not sure what else, maybe there is a log file somewhere too.

WP_000245.jpg
WP_000245.jpg (97.79 KiB) Viewed 6529 times

contents of zipmagic.wim.log.txt:
Unable to set WIM error output:: 0 [WIMLIB] (at 14843)
Unable to create new WIM:: 0 [WIMLIB] (at 14859)
Unable to set WIM chunk size:: 0 [WIMLIB] (at 14875)
Unable to capture C:\ into new WIM:: 0 [WIMLIB] (at 188546)
Unable to save WIM into E:\ZIPmagic.wim:: 0 [WIMLIB] (at 1708515)

Hope that helps, will try again and see what I get with the other settings, thanks,
:Larry
hometownnerd

Postby admin » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:59 pm

OK, thanks Larry. That's certainly a brand-new error and we'll be looking into it. In the meanwhile, you don't need to be dead in the water.

First, if you haven't already, please upgrade to the latest version of ZIPmagic - 12.63 - from the public website. Your existing serial key will work.

Next, launch DoubleSpace, and choose all your settings as usual. But don't start the operation yet!

Double-click the DoubleSpace icon inside the app window (found in the top left corner), and choose WIMGAPI as your restore engine, instead of WIMLIB. This is actually what DoubleSpace defaults to, at least in its most recent versions. With an unlicensed version, it defaults to using WIMGAPI for both backup and restore; with a licensed version, it defaults to using WIMLIB for backup and WIMGAPI for restore; which indeed still appears to be the safest approach.

Anyways, then proceed normally. Typically one engine succeeds where the other fails; so I am confident this will resolve your issue. In the meanwhile, we'll also try to fix the WIMLIB engine so no other users encounter this error - however, the good news is, you don't have to wait for this fix. DoubleSpace has had quad-switchable engine functionality for quite some time now, and you can definitely use WIMGAPI for your restores. WIMLIB is most critical for the backup phase primarily, because WIMGAPI cannot create WIM archives with higher than "Default" compression (what is referred to as MaxSpeed in DoubleSpace); so I am glad that you were able to successfully use the WIMLIB engine during your compression phase.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:33 pm

I have heard from the WIMLIB library developer, he has corrected a misunderstanding of mine.

It appears you were already using the WIMGAPI engine to do the restore, but it failed (as he understood from the nature of the error message shown).

So my instructions to you remain identical, except: Change the default of WIMGAPI for image application to WIMLIB instead. So both engines in the advanced settings window should be using WIMLIB.

Do that and try again, it should work now. As for a fix for WIMGAPI, I believe none of us should hold our breath for that - since its a Microsoft library, and I don't have any contacts there.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby hometownnerd » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:28 am

Is that the engine that gets selected with my almost maxspace selection? I did run it again with the old settings I used before setting wimgapi as backup and wimlib as restore, and received an error about a permissions error on an attachment like I have had before and like others have noticed. So I went in and deleted the entire directory that the attachments were in and ran doublespace again, but this time I selected wimgapi for both. This time I had a much better amount of available space available. Originally I ran it and went from like 5gb to 9gb after doublespace, this time I went from 5gb to over 12gb. I can give you a screen cap of the error I received on the permissions issue but it is like all of the others.

Thanks again for your help,
Have a great day,
Larry
hometownnerd

Postby admin » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:53 pm

When you select your almost-MaxSpace setting, the engine for backup becomes WIMLIB (it has to - only it provides compression settings above MaxSpeed), and the restore engine remains at the default of WIMGAPI.

It is surprising to hear that you saved more space with WIMGAPI compared to WIMLIB; this is I am certain a result of an uncontrolled test environment - WIMLIB's compression far exceeds that of WIMGAPI.

In the long term, we'll be ditching WIMGAPI completely as the open source WIMLIB library matures more and more. The developer has, in fact, added several fixes and workarounds to his library - that should aid in the prevention of the types of errors you encountered (or, at least, making them non-fatal - such that, any non-fatal errors would not abort the operation and end up breaking your PC).

So anyways, I'm glad that it finally worked for you - stay tuned for more updates in the future. We've already added a fifth compression grade between MaxSpace and MaxSpeed; and are working to integrate further fixes from the WIMLIB author even as I type this - this should take care of the access problems, as well as the extraction problems that have been previously reported - hopefully, letting us permanently ditch the WIMGAPI engine moving forward. There'll be a new update as soon as we can deliver it :)
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:27 am

I have great news, I have just uploaded ZIPmagic 12.64. This version standardizes on WIMLIB as both the capture and restore engine. WIMLIB has been enhanced by its developer to ensure successful operation even when non-fatal errors are encountered. So you would no longer trip on some temporary files that cannot be read for some reason.

Additionally, there are now five compression settings in total - one more has been added right in the middle of MaxSpeed and MaxSpace. I'd love to hear your feedback on this version.

Thank you!
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Return to Support