[Solved] BUG: Unable to Unassociate ZIPmagic with File Types

For all your technical questions and concerns.

[Solved] BUG: Unable to Unassociate ZIPmagic with File Types

Postby MrElectrifyer » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:36 am

Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to stop associating .vhd files with ZIPmagic. I want to associate them with just File Explorer. In the "Simon King's ZIPmagic: File Associations" window, when I select a certain file type and click the "Never open with ZIPmagic" option, nothing happens. The selected archive type just gets deselected.

Any ideas of what's going on? Or how I can manually fix this via the registry while ZIPmagic is getting patched?
MrElectrifyer

Re: BUG: Unable to Unassociate ZIPmagic with File Types

Postby admin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:53 am

After it has been deselected, just go ahead and re-associate with your favorite program for that type. ZIPmagic will not automatically reown the association.
ZIPmagic
The Next Generation Data Compression Platform
admin
Site Admin

Postby MrElectrifyer » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:14 am

No, you seem to be misunderstanding me. It doesn't move the file type to the "Open with nothing" list, it still remains in the "Open with ZIPmagic" list.
MrElectrifyer

Postby admin » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:49 pm

Perhaps you can upload a video or allow a remote desktop session to your system.I am unable to reproduce that result here on clean testing machines.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby mec337 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:52 pm

See Win 8.1 can not un-associate ISO file type from zipmagic this is a common problem that needs to be resolved
mec337

Postby admin » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:51 pm

After it has been deselected, just go ahead and re-associate with your favorite program for that type. ZIPmagic will not automatically reown the association.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby mec337 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:06 pm

The point is you can not unassociate ( deselect it ) to associate it manually. It is impossible to deselect it.
mec337

Postby admin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:35 am

Thank you, I have been able to reproduce this bug on my system with another file type (although not ISO).

This will help me determine the underlying cause of the issue.

Expect a fix shortly, and thanks very much for reporting!
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:22 am

OK, interesting development. Looks like the code is correct, but the issue may be lack of admin permissions. To verify this theory, can you please:

1) Run ZIPmagic Studio, from the Application submenu of the ZIPmagic program group.
2) Be sure to run ZIPmagic Studio as ADMINISTRATOR.
3) From the Archives menu, choose the Associate Files menu item.
4) Try to dissociate your ISO extension directly here.

I think it will work, because that's what got it working for me here! If you can confirm this, I will fix the code so the File Associations Control Panel applet runs with elevation, instead of without (as it is right now).
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby mec337 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:10 am

Hi.
Tried your idea. It did not work. In fact I had already tried elevated privileges through archive ownership when I first had the problem. FYI you said "Yes, I feel if you had used the ZIPmagic Control Panel from the start for the file associations, we wouldn't have been in this unpredictable situation." I did attempt this through ZIPmagic control panel it just didn't work which I why I resorted to modifying the registry so I could burn an ISO. Interesting that you think privileges could be an issue after all this time without anybody realising.

I Do not think it is related to privileges if I delete the data associated with the registry key (not the key just the data "ZIPmagic" it appears correctly in the "open with nothing tab" if I then click always "open with ZIPmagic" it correctly appears in the "Open with ZIPmagic tab" and appears correctly in the registry with ZIPmagic (without admin privileges it can still write to the registry) as the data. If I then click never open with ZIPmagic nothing happens and the registry is not updated, as per the original problem.I tried other archive types with admin rights through ZIPmagic studio, associate files.. and had the same problems.

Would a video help? If it helps I am a professional C++ programmer so I might use sysinternals regmon if I can find some time or if you want to bounce some other ideas around or try some preliminary code fixes please let me know.
mec337

Next

Return to Support