[Solved] DoubleSpace and existing Wimboot systems

For all your technical questions and concerns.

[Solved] DoubleSpace and existing Wimboot systems

Postby dsgd47 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:23 pm

I have a tablet with a tiny, 15GB, SSD that uses Wimboot.
As you probably know, any updates to the OS files are left uncompressed on the C: drive. The latest update reduced the free space to <3GB. Over time, I expect all of the free space on the drive to disappear.
Can I re-compress the system using DoubleSpace so that I can get some of this space back?
Is there a way to uncompress the system and re-compress it on the fly?
Is there a way to fold the OS updates back into the Wimboot file? I don't mind if I have to reset the system after merging the updates.
My other alternative is to wipe the system, combine the partitions, and reinstall Windows 8.1. I am concerned about getting all the drivers.
Would I then use your product to compress the resulting system. Which one would I use? I assume that all updates would be compressed back into the system so that I don't have to repeat the process.
What do you think my best solution would be?

Thanks,
Dan
dsgd47

Re: DoubleSpace and existing Wimboot systems

Postby admin » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:07 am

Yes, that's an ideal application of ZIPmagic DoubleSpace.

Just get an external storage of equivalent size to your tablet's SSD ready, such as a 16 GB thumb drive, and plug it in.

Fire up DoubleSpace, choose your USB drive as your Undo Disk, and begin compression.

ZIPmagic DoubleSpace will recompress all of your data and merge all your updates back in.

You can repeat the process as often as you like (for example, once a week) to pick up the slack.

You can also use DriveSpace to compress new files on your disk since your last DoubleSpace pass, to buy more time.

DriveSpace and DoubleSpace are mutually compatible and they play well together.

Please enjoy your space savings :)
ZIPmagic
The Next Generation Data Compression Platform
admin
Site Admin

Postby dsgd47 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:06 pm

I successfully compressed the drive. I then copied the recovery partition to a USB drive and deleted it from the system. When I tried to recompress the drive after applying updates and installing programs, it complained that the recovery drive was missing. Is there a way to have it use the recovery info from the USB stick? (I have another recovery stick from the initial system, so I can always revert back to the factory setup. This is a 16 Gb tablet, so I have to squeeze out all the available space I can.
dsgd47

Postby admin » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:41 am

Can you share the exact complaint you received, so I can provide more specific guidance for you?
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

[Solved] Re: DoubleSpace and existing Wimboot systems

Postby admin » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:04 am

Great news! This issue has been identified and resolved successfully with the latest ZIPmagic 12.77 update.

ZIPmagic now correctly handles pre-WIMBoot tablets. You will not need to manually delete any partitions.

Additionally, ZIPmagic will not fail to locate your recovery partition when re-compressing a previously compressed disk.

This recovery partition is now automatically preserved for you by ZIPmagic.

Thank you very much for reporting this issue, for helping us fix this issue for all users, and enjoy ZIPmagic!
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Return to Support