[Solved] doublespace unable to save in WIM

For all your technical questions and concerns.

Re: doublespace unable to save in WIM

Postby admin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:00 pm

Could you translate, what is literally Greek, I suppose? I believe the CAUSE section simply includes the numeric error code of what is already explained at the bottom in Greek.
ZIPmagic
The Next Generation Data Compression Platform
admin
Site Admin

Postby grigoris_a » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:12 pm

The external support service is not recognized/the external service providing support is not recognized (it says the same as before)
This is in a clean installation I made compressed it once then installed updates and tried to recompress.
grigoris_a

Postby admin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:25 am

Very interesting. Is there any chance you may be able to provide the source WIM for us to evaluate?

I have occasionally run into this issue, but never been able to consistently reproduce it. Perhaps having access to your WIM may help, but I am not sure if it is practical for you to upload all that data, or whether you would be comfortable sharing it.

Even then, it may not necessarily help to solve the issue; but anything helps at this point is what I am thinking.

We can also arrange remote TeamViewer access to the system if that may solve the issue.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:31 am

Also it may be interesting to try to decompress your disk first, and then recompress it again. I don't know if you have enough space for full decompression, but it could be worth a try.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby grigoris_a » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:13 pm

I have added the winstore cache(C:\Users\Grigoris\AppData\Local\Packages\winstore_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Cache
to the exclusion list and was able to backup.I don't know why the store cache causes this glitch.
grigoris_a

Postby admin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:24 pm

Glad to hear it, Grigoris!

I am not sure either; we have had intermittent reports of this issue - always on files like the one you attached the screenshots for - it may be due to strange characters in the file path, access permissions, the temporary nature of the file - or really, anything else.

I regret we have been unable to definitively solve this issue; but fortunately the folder exclusion mechanism has worked for you and you have been able to solve this issue.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if I may be of further assistance.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:13 pm

We have come up with a new idea, regarding the cause of the error you may be experiencing.

Can you determine if the file being shown is encrypted? That may be a factor to evaluate and test for.

Please let me know so we can further narrow our investigations into the right cause.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby grigoris_a » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:34 pm

All files in the /0 folder in store cache are.dat files.I opened one with notepad++ and contains info about store app(description etc.)
But the file 0\0-GetRatingSummary-https∺∯∯next-services.apps.microsoft.com∯4R∯6.3.9600-0∯788∯el-GR∯m∯GR∯Apps∯4b24bd3e-c71d-44ce-b455-1e670f00d8ae∯ri∯2f27c444-c1ff-4c00-85fc-ea93d9ddf24f∯Reviews∯RatingSummary.dat
has a very long file name and cannot be deleted renamed or whatever.I found this searching the internet http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 7b1de54920
grigoris_a

Postby admin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:16 pm

To check if the file is encrypted or not, you can right-click the file, click the Advanced button in the Attributes section of the General tab, and see if under the Compress or Encrypt attributes region, the "Encrypt contents to secure data" box is checked.

The extra long file paths are indeed an issue when working in programs such as Windows Explorer. However, in fact, ZIPmagic DoubleSpace, and both of the libraries it uses (WIMGAPI by Microsoft and WIMLIB by open source), have full support for extra long file paths - this is why file paths in the progress window start with \\?\ (the super long file path modifier/indicator string).

Let me know if the files are encrypted, if you can get to that point in Explorer?
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby grigoris_a » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:27 pm

As I said before there is nothing you can do with that file.Right clicking gives only option for send to, edit with notepad++ and open with.It has no properties.You can check it in your PC(you will probably have it to if you have 8.1).
I restored the image I made with that folder excluded and after booting, the folder was created and all files are there again.
Maybe this pic helps you
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (239.97 KiB) Viewed 12055 times
grigoris_a

PreviousNext

Return to Support