Double Space and Google Drive

For all your technical questions and concerns.

Double Space and Google Drive

Postby rondoval » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:01 pm

Hi,

Just installed Double Space on an Acer Switch 10 (these come with WIMBoot and a 5GB recovery partition). All went well and after Double Space run I was able to remove the recovery partition and reallocate space to the main partition. 6GB extra in total, which is quite a lot on a 32GB device.

What I noticed was that Google Drive stopped recognizing it's folder after the Double Space run, I had to log out of gdrive, remove the directory and log in again (the error message was "this is not your original google drive folder" as far as I remember).

That observation leads me to two extra questions:
- does Double Space compress everything into the WIM image? (I assume it ignores the swap space and hibernation file - anything else?)
- is there a way to control what goes in? (say I'd like it to leave the web browser cache or some frequently modified directory as is)
rondoval

Re: Double Space and Google Drive

Postby admin » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:12 pm

Thanks for sharing this feedback. Currently, you can only define compression exclusions in DriveSpace, Server Edition.

Based on your input, I have added folder/file based exclusion for DoubleSpace to the product wish-list. It is a good suggestion, thank you.

You may also be able to manually work with the current version to define file/folder exclusions. I will research this and get back to you shortly.
ZIPmagic
The Next Generation Data Compression Platform
admin
Site Admin

Re: Double Space and Google Drive

Postby admin » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:33 pm

I have researched your request, and here is the way to accomplish what you want:

Edit the file C:\Windows\System32\WimBootCompress.ini to define your exclusion before starting the DoubleSpace process.

Please note that any files/folders you exclude with this method will be excluded altogether in the current version of DoubleSpace.

As such, please copy any files/folders you exclude with this method to your Undo Disk or another partition, if you wish to save them.

After DoubleSpace completes, copy them back in, and then run DriveSpace (not DoubleSpace) to compress those file as well.

Any time you choose to re-compress your disk with DoubleSpace, please again backup/restore any files/folders that are excluded like this.

Once your feature request is implemented, DoubleSpace will automatically perform this backup/restore step.

For now you do have a manual approach which does still achieve what you wish to do. I hope this is satisfactory!
ZIPmagic
The Next Generation Data Compression Platform
admin
Site Admin

Return to Support