[Solved] Doubts on DoubleSpace with a WIMboot tablet

For all your technical questions and concerns.

[Solved] Doubts on DoubleSpace with a WIMboot tablet

Postby chanquete69 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:14 am

Hello!! I have doubts with DoubleSpace and don't know if it will work with my system. I've got a 16GB eMMC tablet that already uses WIMboot. It is the factory configuration. The disk has 2 partitions, a C: one that after applying windows updates has 3GB free and a recovery one of 4GB that hosts the WIM factory image. Can I apply DoubleSpace to a system that already uses WIMboot? Will it "update" the image contained in the recovery partition? Or will it create another wim image in C: and after that delete recovery partition and extend C:?

Have you used this product in this kind of systems?

Thank you all!!
chanquete69

Re: Doubts on DoubleSpace with a WIMboot tablet

Postby admin » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:04 am

I recommend you first backup your recovery partition (using the built-in OEM or OS tools) and then delete it. DoubleSpace will not interfere with your backup partition in any way. So you should remember to extend your OS partition to include the recovery space after backing it up and removing it.

Then, run DoubleSpace normally. It will not matter that the OS has already been WIMBoot'ed. Before running DoubleSpace, you may want to "max-out" all available space on your tablet, to maximize your space savings. In fact, I would install as many apps as I could, load up all the files I need, and then run DriveSpace (not DoubleSpace). DriveSpace compresses your disk using NTFS compression - which isn't as great as DoubleSpace's WIMBoot - but its still something, and it will save you some significant space.

After you have FULLY maxed out your used space on your tablet WITH DriveSpace, then run DoubleSpace and prepare to be amazed!!!
ZIPmagic
The Next Generation Data Compression Platform
admin
Site Admin

Postby chanquete69 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:53 am

As said, the tablet boots the wim image from the recovery partition. I couldn't delete it on disk manager neither on diskpart. So I used a partition manager software and forced deletion. System crashed and on reboot windows says that can't find the recovery partition and cannot boot, so I can't delete it. I've thought on doing it after doublespace and extending partition after that, but I only have 3GB free on C. I want to be sure this software will work before buying. Thank you very much for your help.
chanquete69

Postby admin » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:06 pm

Oh, I see. In that scenario, I hope you made a backup of your recovery partition so you can reinstall your system. After you've done that, please use DoubleSpace normally on a maxed-out system as I described earlier (together with an Undo Disk of at least 8 GB capacity).

You do not need to purchase it to use DoubleSpace (although the highest compression grades will be unavailable without a purchase). Also if you are curious about the highest compression grades, you can always try the lower free settings first (to build confidence before your purchase), or you may purchase today and then refund within 30 days without cause (per ZIPmagic's 30-day money back guarantee).

Enjoy!
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:42 am

Actually, there is a much simpler method you can use:

1) Run DoubleSpace and compress your disk. This will result in a net loss of space, because of the unneeded WIM file used by your current WIMBoot before using DoubleSpace.
2) After DoubleSpace completes, delete the WIM file and the recovery partition containing it. Extend your main partition to include space recovered this way.
3) Now you will see a substantial increase in free space. You can also re-run DoubleSpace and/or DriveSpace any time before/after this process to keep increasing your available free disk space.

The above method is essentially the safest way to transition you away from the WIM contained in your recovery partition to the WIM created by DoubleSpace. As such, once you have completed steps #1 and #2 above, you are free from the space consumed by that WIM; any further recompression passes with DoubleSpace and/or DriveSpace can take place in any order without you having to max out your storage anywhere first - and will not create redundant WIMs that are consuming free space.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby divxmaster » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:40 am

I have just done exactly that on my 16gb windows tablet today, and can confirm it works great.
Once you have doublespaced the drive and it boots properly, you will have to delete the old
recovery partition via diskpart. You cant do it in disk manager.
Run diskpart, 'list disk', find your internal disk, should be 0, and then 'select disk 0', then do
'list part', and find your recovery partition. mine was 4. the enter 'select partition 4', then enter
'delete partition override'.
Your partition should be gone. Then you can use disk manager to extend C: into the free space.
On my 16gb tablet, even with all the latest updates applied, I still have 7.8GB free

edit: note this includes hibernation enabled (size=50%) and a 1.8gb system managed pagefile and
only using the basic compression. This is a brilliant product, I was going to install programs on
SDcard but I don't need to, plenty of space on C:!

important edit 2: I noticed that when you delete the recovery partition, or perhaps as
a result of running zipmagic, that most of the options under troubleshooting (in advanced startup),
aren't there anymore. i.e., command line, restore from image, etc. But when you boot the recovery
usb you made from windows (you DID do this didn't you) then the options come up.
presumably they will also come up if you boot a win 8.1 setup usb.

Cheers,
Divxmaster
divxmaster

Postby admin » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:02 am

I have great news!

The latest version of ZIPmagic, version 12.77, internally handles this issue.

Now when you run it on a 16 GB eMMC tablet, it will automatically detect and delete the recovery partition with the newly redundant WIM for you.

The results are rather spectacular, and truly one-click in the good ZIPmagic fashion :)

Also, ZIPmagic correctly preserves your Advanced Startup Troubleshooting options. All of this is, again, a single click :)
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Re: [Solved] Doubts on DoubleSpace with a WIMboot tablet

Postby divxmaster » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:20 pm

awesome, great work, will have to restore my tablet from a windows image and try this out.

Cheers,
Divxmaster
divxmaster

Postby NowWhat » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:44 pm

Is this only for 16GB tablets, or does it apply to 32GB ones as well?
NowWhat

Postby admin » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:22 am

It applies to all sizes of tablets, solid state disks, mechanical (rotating) hard disks - there is no size limit either way!
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Support