[Solved] Win 8.1 can not un-associate ISO file type from ZM

For all your technical questions and concerns.

[Solved] Win 8.1 can not un-associate ISO file type from ZM

Postby mec337 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:57 pm

Hi.
Windows 8.1 allows mounting of ISO however zipmagic has associated this file type. I have disabled ISO plugin but I can not un-associate ISO file setting in ZIPmagic file associations (Archive Ownership) clicking ISO and using the never open with zip magic button has no effect. In fact selecting other archive types has no effect. The Archive Ownership looks as if it can not update .iso registry entry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT please could you fix this a.s.a.p or refund my money as I only purchased on the 23rd December 2014.

FAQ states:-
Can I dissociate ZIPmagic from certain archive types?
Yes. You have complete freedom in choosing which compression utility owns which archive types. From the Start Menu, in the ZIPmagic program group, open Archive Ownership which is located under Advanced Tools.

Help please it is annoying the crap out of me.. all I want to do is give windows the chance to mount the ISO.
mec337

Re: Win 8.1 can not un-associate ISO file type from zipmagic

Postby admin » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:50 pm

Once you have dissociated using the ZIPmagic Control Panel as you have already done, you will need to manually re-associate with your new desired program. The ZIPmagic Control Panel setting assures you that your new external program association will not be lost.
ZIPmagic
The Next Generation Data Compression Platform
admin
Site Admin

Postby mec337 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:55 pm

No re-associating is not the issue the registry entry associated with .iso under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT remains as (Default) REG_SZ ZIPmagic i.e. clicking never open with ZIPmagic has no effect on the .iso entry in the registry entry. It also has no effect in archive manager .iso stays on the open with ZIPmagic tab.

see http://youtu.be/E9qzm_9Nrv8

also re-associating with ZIPmagic having changed the registry entry back to ZIPmagic has no effect and it always opens with Windows (hey, but one problem at a time)
mec337

Postby admin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:37 am

Thanks for the video, it really helps.

On my system ISO appears to work properly, but IPA doesn't work right - showing the exact symptoms you have shared.

One clue is that both file types have the wrong icon displayed (a non-ZIPmagic icon).
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby mec337 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:47 am

Initially the icon was correct. I modified the plug in binding for .iso (turned off the binding) and deleted the .iso registry entry. Windows could then mount the .iso file.
putting the registry key back manually such that it was associated with zip magic had no effect and windows could still mount the ,iso I assume this is correct as there was no plugin binding. Turning the binding on again still had no effect and windows still was able to mount the .iso
mec337

Postby admin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:56 pm

Yes, I feel if you had used the ZIPmagic Control Panel from the start for the file associations, we wouldn't have been in this unpredictable situation.

Windows is especially touchy about programs programmatically taking ownership of file types - it appears that something got triggered somewhere; leading to a failure to now dissociate.

At any rate luckily the problem does reproduce at my end with another archive type, so I hope to fix that - and then you can check and let me know if yours is fixed also.

Thanks again for the video and the report - helping fix this for all customers!
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:21 am

OK, interesting development. Looks like the code is correct, but the issue may be lack of admin permissions. To verify this theory, can you please:

1) Run ZIPmagic Studio, from the Application submenu of the ZIPmagic program group.
2) Be sure to run ZIPmagic Studio as ADMINISTRATOR.
3) From the Archives menu, choose the Associate Files menu item.
4) Try to dissociate your ISO extension directly here.

I think it will work, because that's what got it working for me here! If you can confirm this, I will fix the code so the File Associations Control Panel applet runs with elevation, instead of without (as it is right now).
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Return to Support