DoubleSpace not progressing at all

For all your technical questions and concerns.

DoubleSpace not progressing at all

Postby Jimmy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:13 pm

well, don't know how did I get here to be honest :P I was looking for a Tool that reduces all the bloat windows loads with as I'm using my newly bought Surface Pro 3.

Already tried DriveSpace with no issues. But when wanted to go further with DoubleSpace, it rebooted, I chose the ZIPmagic boot, clicked on start compressing, but then nothing happens, the progress bar just stuck at: Checking Drive C: and didn't move to another task for more than 15 minutes, assuming it was checking my disk, the time would've largely sufficed for a complete thorough checkdisk (SSD on a Surface Pro 3 that flies)!! so...

forgot to tell you that I'm running Windows 10 TP Build 9926 (latest beta build)!!

Any suggestions?
Jimmy

Re: DoubleSpace not progressing at all

Postby admin » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:10 pm

Thanks for the report!

Would you mind sending a screenshot (something you could take with a camera), so I could pinpoint the exact place where you got stuck?

Appreciate the feedback...
ZIPmagic
The Next Generation Data Compression Platform
admin
Site Admin

Postby Jimmy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:22 pm

that's the screenshot!! and by the way, the entry to chose ZIPmagic boot-time doesn't get removed after the process fails :/
Attachments
20150312_133439.jpg
20150312_133439.jpg (207.41 KiB) Viewed 13373 times
Jimmy

Postby admin » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:08 am

Try cancelling out of this, and then re-running by clicking "Compress" again immediately after the cancellation is acknowledged by the GUI.

FWIW, I do not see this error in my Windows 10 testing environment (same build number. both 32 bit and 64 bit editions).

We'll work together until the issue is resolved!
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby Jimmy » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:30 am

Cancelling also takes ages!! could it be related to BitLocker?
Jimmy

Postby admin » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:03 am

Perhaps, however DoubleSpace does detect Bitlocker and advise you to decrypt your disk before proceeding with a reboot into its exclusive processing mode.

Did this not happen for you? Was your drive encrypted with Bitlocker, and did DoubleSpace fail to detect this?
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby Jimmy » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:42 pm

ok I'll just decrypt my SSD and tell you what happened ;)
Jimmy

Postby admin » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:53 am

Excellent!

Be sure to try the latest 12.78 version also, this version is a major new upgrade to DoubleSpace 2 with many exciting new features:

Folder Exclusions: Fairly self-explanatory. Some folders (like OneDrive and Google Drive) simply seemed to require this. The installer comes with a built-in list of recommended exclusions. You can also exclude any custom folder you like, this is recommended if it contains files that are frequently updated (since these will waste space both inside your WIM and on-disk). Any excluded folders are automatically processed using DriveSpace (NTFS compression), which is very safe to use on these folders (and recompresses updated files transparently, although at a worse ratio than WIMBoot) – so you know you are completely maximizing your free space.

Clone Operations: You can now use DoubleSpace to actually create and restore system images. You can even restore a system image uncompressed, if that is your intention. This makes it very easy to move from PC to PC with all your apps, data, and settings intact.

Decompression Operations: You can now uncompress any existing disk (as long as you have enough storage available). When uncompressing, you can even use a past Undo Disk to revert your PC to that state in its entirety as well; or decompress your latest live running system.

Redesigned UI: Message boxes are now more clear; previously hidden user interface elements are accessible; new menu item entries are available for cloning and decompression. Everything remains one-click as before.

Very Large File Support: Files larger than 4 GB are unsupported by WIMBoot, and these files just end up wasting space inside your WIM file (despite many of them being compressible). DoubleSpace now keeps them outside of your WIM, and it again runs DriveSpace on these files to ensure you are getting as much free space as possible on your system.

For more details, please see the recently updated "11 Reasons to use DoubleSpace" page:

http://www.zipmagic.co/doublespace.html
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby Jimmy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:10 pm

Great feature to exclude folders!! didn't try your last version, actually my internet speed is very poor, so, just to ask you, if there would be an option to chose only some folders to compress (instead of exclude the folders you don't want, just include the ones you want :) )

and I'm gonna try the last version and tell you my impression ;)
thanks for the support bro ;)
Jimmy

Postby admin » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:27 pm

Actually you can only exclude folders right now.

However, your folder exclusions automatically exclude all subfolders as well, so you may be able to exclude a lot of what you need without too much hassle.

Please enjoy :)
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Support