[Solved] Doubts on DoubleSpace with a WIMboot tablet

For all your technical questions and concerns.

Re: [Solved] Doubts on DoubleSpace with a WIMboot tablet

Postby eried » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:21 am

Hey, I am trying to do the same. I first messed the recovery partition of a cheap tablet and ended writing a little guide how to install the normal Windows 8.1 Pro (http://www.chw.net/foro/tablets-y-ebook ... 8081i.html) but now I have less than 1 GB available! :P

My question is if there is a chance to use DoubleSpace taking advance of the sd card in these cheap tablets as the recovery partition. It does not appear listed after the reboot, so I am guessing is not loading a driver for it?
eried

Postby admin » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:52 am

The answer to your question is hidden within the question itself:

When you reinstalled Windows, the Windows Recovery Environment (which DoubleSpace uses when restarting your PC from your boot menu) that was specific to your particular tablet, with its own special drivers, got replaced by a generic copy of the Windows Recovery Environment; which lacked all such drivers.

And unfortunately, while you can install drivers into Windows, those installations never update the Windows Recovery Environment - so you are effectively locked out of the SD card slot; unless you can revert to the OEM default installation of Windows, which will restore the Windows Recovery Environment that originally came with your tablet (and would already have the necessary drives in place).

Alternately, if you are on the Windows 10 beta list, you can install the Windows 10 beta on your tablet, and compress your disk using DriveSpace 6. DriveSpace 6 comes very close to compressing almost as good as DoubleSpace 2 (it falls behind only 10%-15% in compression), but it runs on a live Windows instance - so no need to reboot your PC at all!

It also does not require an Undo Disk, but it would be able to compress all data in an SD card slot just as well; and since it works on live Windows, drivers wouldn't be an issue :)
ZIPmagic
The Next Generation Data Compression Platform
admin
Site Admin

Postby eried » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:21 pm

admin wrote:The answer to your question is hidden within the question itself:

When you reinstalled Windows, the Windows Recovery Environment (which DoubleSpace uses when restarting your PC from your boot menu) that was specific to your particular tablet, with its own special drivers, got replaced by a generic copy of the Windows Recovery Environment; which lacked all such drivers.

And unfortunately, while you can install drivers into Windows, those installations never update the Windows Recovery Environment - so you are effectively locked out of the SD card slot; unless you can revert to the OEM default installation of Windows, which will restore the Windows Recovery Environment that originally came with your tablet (and would already have the necessary drives in place).

Alternately, if you are on the Windows 10 beta list, you can install the Windows 10 beta on your tablet, and compress your disk using DriveSpace 6. DriveSpace 6 comes very close to compressing almost as good as DoubleSpace 2 (it falls behind only 10%-15% in compression), but it runs on a live Windows instance - so no need to reboot your PC at all!

It also does not require an Undo Disk, but it would be able to compress all data in an SD card slot just as well; and since it works on live Windows, drivers wouldn't be an issue :)

Oh I see! I have the recovery image, but Windows does not boot up from it (maybe is because I deleted the recovery partition, it just shows a blue screen with "your system needs to be repaired" when I try to boot from it). I'll try to use an external sd for the recovery partition and see how compression goes.
eried

Postby admin » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:55 pm

Exactly. That is why in this type of scenario, it is better to just run DoubleSpace 2 without worrying about deleting OEM partitions, etc.

DoubleSpace 2 automatically relocates the OEM Windows Recovery Environment for you to the main partition (the small recovery environment, not the large recovery image - you don't need the large image, since DoubleSpace 2 creates a new WIM image file for you anyways); and then deletes the OEM partition automatically - so you enjoy, in one step:

1) Freed space from the large OEM partition (deleted OEM partition, plus extended main partition to include that space),
2) Preserved Windows Recovery Environment, complete with your drivers, so you enjoy access to all peripherals in DoubleSpace 2 boot mode,
3) All the extra space you need with superior disk compression; in addition to all the space freed from step #1 above!

If you manually deleted the OEM partition, you lose your own custom Windows Recovery Environment, in addition to manual finagling on the command line, which is tedious and error-prone. You could manually relocate your Windows Recovery Environment and re-register it Windows too, but that's a lot of work.

Let DoubleSpace 2 do the heavy lifting for you - that's what it's been built for :)
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby eried » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:00 am

Thanks a lot! this truly seems like a really passionate piece of software :lol: my beloved winrar is jealous.

BTW in your experience how can I recover the original partitions/drivers/etc? Can I just use the recovery image generated by another windows user or does this need some extra magic?
eried

Postby admin » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:09 am

Indeed, disk compression is just the tip of the iceberg. The founder of the legendary software download site Tucows.com, Scott Swedorski, wrote:

The software is great. I am very impressed with the level of tools included with it...What a great tool. I have used WinRAR for years and this blows it out of the water!

And that was before DoubleSpace was even included in ZIPmagic :) So be sure to enjoy the file compression parts of ZIPmagic too, you'll love it.

As for your question, maybe contact the OEM in question directly? They may have saved a recovery image online. For example, for Microsoft Surface, you can download here:

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us ... =100110237
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby eried » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:22 am

Hey! I was able to recover all the partitions (went to the store with my OTG USB cable and pendrive and used the demo tablet to extract the recovery :lol: ) so here is my final question about this topic: Do you have some formal research about the speed trade-off of WIMboot compression? I mean, I was thinking on the long ignore list I want to make, basically I want to leave uncompressed any used stuff, and compress only the installer/ folder, winsxs, drivers, etc is that adequate or just unnecessary
eried

Postby admin » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:29 pm

Great job!

I'd compress everything. Read speeds on any PC are increased with both WIMBoot (DoubleSpace) and NTFS compression (DriveSpace). This is true for even super-fast SSDs!

You only lose some with write speeds on DriveSpace (NTFS compression) and only on first-time writes with DoubleSpace (WIMBoot compression).

Since most of the time you are reading data and not writing, you are actually going to improve your tablet speed overall.

The default exclusions would work for most scenarios, if you have a folder where you know you're always going to be writing/updating stuff in, just add it in.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Support