[Solved] for the 2nd month in a row reg key no longer works

For all your technical questions and concerns.

[Solved] for the 2nd month in a row reg key no longer works

Postby c0manche » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:35 pm

What's happening just last month was forced to pay for another registration key

Is this what its going to be like having to pay to get a registered version each month my march key (2nd payed for in 2 months) now updated to 12.80 to find out that now it says its not registered again and won't accept my payed for license from march

Having a key that only works for 1month is nit good enough you say you can just keep installing the new updates and the registration is kept well this has not been the case for 2months in a row now and to say I am unhappy in only working for 1 month is a understatement.

Is this a bug and if not are you going to supply a new key as support for 1 month is not good enough
c0manche

Re: Again for the 2nd month in a row reg key no longer works

Postby c0manche » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:26 pm

I have even tried uninstaling the latest update and installing the last version that did work 12.79 and that now no longer works

Not happy having payed twice for an application that no longer works
c0manche

Postby c0manche » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:45 pm

Just also tried reinstalling 12.78 (fixed version) from march 16 and tried my 2nd key I purchased again on March 16th which you debugged on my tablet and that will also not accept my registration key now

Not happy as I use doublespace to do backups of my bootdrive so can no longer access my backups
c0manche

Postby c0manche » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:30 pm

Thanks for the new key look forward to trying the new features
c0manche

Postby admin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:39 pm

This was another major version upgrade. Yes, I know - I've been working hard with Windows 10 just around the corner, releasing major upgrade after major upgrade :)

This major version upgrade takes DriveSpace from version 5.1 to 6:

a) New Windows 10 compression support. You now get to enjoy near-DoubleSpace 2 compression savings on Windows 10 with the convenience of DriveSpace (no rebooting, ability to process a PC online while Windows is still running).

b) When you run DriveSpace 6 on Windows 8.1.1 or older, you'll still only be able to enjoy the existing LZNT1/NTFS compression. Running it on Windows 10, you'll get to enjoy brand-new:

XPRESS 4 KB
XPRESS 8 KB
XPRESS 16 KB
LZX

compression algorithms! These roughly correspond to the same scale available in DoubleSpace 2 for MaxSpeed through MaxSpace.

c) DoubleSpace 2 still compresses about 10%-15% better than DriveSpace 6. However, from a convenience perspective, you may just stick to DriveSpace 6 instead of DoubleSpace 2. You will be able to instantly recover space from deleted files, and there'll be no space waste on files that are updated. All you'll need to do is just run DriveSpace 6 occasionally to recompress your updated files. This will surely take a lot less time than recompressing your entire disk, so it is just far more convenient. However, 10%-15% is still significant; so if you just have to maximize your space savings, you may still want to use DoubleSpace 2 on even Windows 10 - say, on a 240 GB SSD, this would save you 24 GB more space.

d) DoubleSpace 2 now recommends you run DriveSpace 6 when it detects you are running on Windows 10. That is, unless your disk was pre-compressed with DoubleSpace 1/2, in which case this recommendation is rescinded; because you may just be wanting to decompress your disk so you can move to the more convenient DriveSpace 6 implementation on Windows 10.

e) DriveSpace 6 does compress slightly better than Windows 10's own compact.exe. For users who wish to be able to realize almost the same space savings as you get with DriveSpace 6, just run this command line on your Windows 10 PC (from an elevated command prompt, of course):

compact.exe /c c:\* /s /a /i /f /exe LZX

DriveSpace 6 is multi-threaded and continues to automatically optimize for the number of CPU cores that are optimal for your system; so you'll still get much faster drive compression and decompression with DriveSpace 6. compact.exe also still fails to compress the majority of disk using LZNT1/NTFS compression; but curiously enough this bug is - almost - fixed entirely for the new compression algorithms introduced with Windows 10.

That's all for describing what's new in this major version upgrade for DriveSpace! Now the good news: If you are current on maintenance, or purchased an upgrade (for the same 70% discounted cost of annual maintenance), your upgrade is free. I have already provided you with the serial number for this upgrade.

I try to aggressively update ZIPmagic, and you can rest assured that if more major version upgrades are released, as long as you're current on maintenance, or purchased an upgraded discount within the year, your major version upgrade will always be free.

Unlike other archiving tools, ZIPmagic is always about aggressive innovation :)
ZIPmagic
The Next Generation Data Compression Platform
admin
Site Admin

Postby BigBoppa » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:22 pm

Same thing here. I just bought ZIPmagic at 1.Mar.2015 for full price. In between there were 2 "major" updates. 1st update was of charge for me because it was in 30-days money-back-period. Now there is 2nd major update and all my backups of boot partition are useless. (It´s the only backup i have because ZIPmagic removed 8.1 recovery from my wimboot tablet).
BigBoppa

Postby admin » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:04 pm

Why would they be useless? You can keep using your old version indefinitely. It's not like it phones home and checks for expiration. Enjoy it for as long as you like.

If you disagree that the innovations in the major upgrades are worthwhile the ten dollar upgrade fee (a pittance in and of itself), you are under absolutely no obligation to upgrade.

Software progress is the pure driver of the schedule on major upgrades here. Sometimes we'll go for years without a key change/major upgrade. Sometimes not, that's just the way things are.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby BigBoppa » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:37 pm

Ok, 10 dollar upgrade fee looks to be ok to me. Is this the maintenance plan (1 year)?
But how to pay? The normal link in licensing reminder leads to the full priced new order version only.
I just looked at the sales forum but still find no answer.
BigBoppa

Postby admin » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:25 pm

I have emailed you your upgrade (1 year maintenance) discount coupon.

Please enjoy!

PS: If you haven't received my email, just PM me at this forum with an alternate email address where I can reach you at.

Edit: My email to you bounced, so I sent you a PM instead. The PM notification email also bounced, but hopefully you have received it.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby BigBoppa » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:46 pm

And again, for the 3rd time, licence changed in 12.8.9. As i paid maintenance fee in 4/2015 i have no doubt you will send me a new key, but i received no email. Maybe it bounced or i missed it in spam folder. (This spam is going to become a problem for me, est. 100 spam mails every day, so it might be my fault). So, could you send it again please?
Thank You,
BigBoppa
BigBoppa

Next

Return to Support