Doublespace questions

For all your technical questions and concerns.

Doublespace questions

Postby grigoris_a » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:40 pm

So i have bought zipmagic and decided to test it in my wimboot tablet.I run doublespace with a usb as undo disk connected.After completion my original wimboot partition is gone and there is a zipmagic.wim file that holds all my data in the undo disk.
Lets say that for some reason i want to restore the tablet,the windows restore and refresh options no longer work.So how can i restore in the event that i cant access the system.
Also noticed that touchscreen does not work when i boot in doublespace enviroment so there is need for usb mouse.
Is there a user manual for doublespace?
grigoris_a

Re: Doublespace questions

Postby admin » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:08 pm

Please use the new System Refresh option to address this issue.

For all users who have not upgraded to the latest DoubleSpace 2, you can still use the following approach:

1) Refresh or reset your PC using your OEM recovery USB.
2) Install ZIPmagic with DoubleSpace.
3) Insert your Undo Disk with your WIM file created by DoubleSpace.
4) If you are running on DoubleSpace 2, choose Clone | Restore | Restore Compressed (or Restore Uncompressed if you have enough space). OR:
5) If you are running on DoubleSpace 1, double-click the DoubleSpace icon in the main program window, uncheck Backup, make sure Restore is checked (you can also check System Restore if you have enough space).

Proceed normally to apply your image to your system.

Obviously, it is a lot simpler to just use the new options in DoubleSpace 2, or even the latest System Refresh option for the fastest way to revert to a WIM. System Refresh does not require or use an Undo Disk, and it directly processes using the WIM already on your boot drive; so it is the fastest option of all. With any version of DoubleSpace (1 or 2) without built-in System Refresh, you also have to wait for your WIM to be copied over again from your Undo Disk, even if it was already the correct version of the file.
ZIPmagic
The Next Generation Data Compression Platform
admin
Site Admin

Postby grigoris_a » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:07 pm

Would it be possible to have a bootable version of doublespace in the undo disk in order to be able to restore easier(not having to restore system installing zipmagic again and then restoring our wim)?
grigoris_a

Postby admin » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:27 pm

Any reason why the System Refresh is not viable for you?

As for your request, I have already thought about it. However, for UEFI systems to boot from a USB stick, the stick must be formatted using FAT32. And unfortunately, no FAT32 volume could contain your WIM file - the maximum file size in a FAT32 volume is 4 GB, which wouldn't be able to contain anything at all!

So it is primarily due to this reason that DoubleSpace has not focused on creating bootable USB sticks to date.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby grigoris_a » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:09 am

System refresh is fine.But what happens if i cannot access windows?
grigoris_a

Postby divxmaster » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:31 am

Once I have my win tablet set up the way I want it, and doublespace is run, I then take the additional
step of backing it up via windows system backup (sdclt.exe) to external hd.
This has no problem backing up windows running in wimboot/dblspace mode. This can then be
restored at any time, even if you have to boot from a windows setup usb to access system restore.

I could only get it to backup to external hd via usb otg cable, doesn't work to microsd.

Cheers,
Divxmaster
Last edited by divxmaster on Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
divxmaster

Postby admin » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:28 pm

That's a great tip, thank you so much!

Also, version 12.8.1 is live on the main download site.

The System Refresh option has passed qualification testing and is available for production use.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Return to Support