[Solved] Imaging and Partitioning with ZipMagic

For all your technical questions and concerns.

Re: Imaging and Partitioning with ZipMagic

Postby admin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:44 pm

I have another update, the issue reproduces on a clean Windows installation when ZIPmagic DriveSpace 7 is run at the XPRESS8K or XPRESS16K compression settings, even when run stand-alone (outside of any prior use of ZIPmagic DoubleSpace 3).

I'll keep you posted with our progress.
ZIPmagic
The Next Generation Data Compression Platform
admin
Site Admin

Postby ronald739 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:06 am

Thanks for the updates.
ronald739

Postby admin » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:50 pm

Happy to let you know the fix has been implemented and is currently scheduled for regression testing.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby ronald739 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:15 pm

Thanks again, please let me know when it is ready to download.
ronald739

Postby admin » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:37 pm

In order to ensure the fixes haven't broken anything else, regression testing is very thorough and often takes a long time to complete.

I can get you a copy beta if you like, though. Checking the current status log, I see that tests are proceeding smoothly - so far!
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby ronald739 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:54 pm

I'll give the beta a test and see how it runs on my system. Send me a link via PM or email.
ronald739

Postby admin » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:38 pm

Sure thing!

For you and anyone else feeling adventurous:

http://www.diskzip.com/DiskZIPbeta.exe [ready to download]

Note: You'll need a DiskZIP license key to test this version at compression grades higher than MaxSpeed.

Second Note: DiskZIP is our premium brand, so we make changes to it first, and then add them to ZIPmagic once they're cleared by QA.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby ronald739 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:43 am

After feeling adventurous with a fresh Windows install (same system that i use Zipmagic on).

https://www.intel.com.au/buy/au/en/prod ... tech_specs

(Mine has two USB 2 ports).

After downloading DiskZIP i tried compress "Online" (default) which compressed 1 GB and after a restart my system booted normally.

Then tried "Maxspeed" "Offline" which also completed successfully.

Then i tried "Optimize" "Online" and after a restart my system started as normal. I will try some more again tonight and tomorrow and let you know how it goes. As i do not have a DiskZIP Key I'm unable to test some of the other functions.
ronald739

Postby admin » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:28 am

Yes, ironically, these would have worked regardless even in the previous version - since only the middling compression grades were affected by the issue (when running DiskZIP Online - DiskZIP Offline was safe at all grades).

The Optimize feature selects the grade matching your selection in the DiskZIP Offline product, which would be XPRESS4K - a never broken grade.

It is my understanding that at the middling compression grades are broken even in Microsoft's native command line tooling built into the operating system. It is therefore unsafe to use compact.exe at the XPRESS8K and XPRESS16K grades on your system at large. Our assumptions on the stability of Microsoft's own tooling is how this potentially very dangerous bug slipped through QA in the first place, and we are extremely sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

To validate our custom fixes, you may test DiskZIP Online found in the new beta at the XPRESS8K and XPRESS16K grades selected manually, and it will work (whereas it would have made your system unbootable previously). Because you don't have a key, DiskZIP Online will boot you off after creating 1 GB of free space, after which you can restart it and resume where you left off, to complete processing the whole disk.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby ronald739 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:32 pm

After running XPRESS 8KB and XPRESS 16KB manually and after two separate restarts my system did start up normally.

Capture 4 8 KB.PNG
Capture 4 8 KB.PNG (24 KiB) Viewed 361 times

Capture 4 8 KB.PNG
Capture 4 8 KB.PNG (24 KiB) Viewed 361 times

I believe these were the correct settings in the screenshot attachments.
Attachments
Capture 6 16 KB.PNG
Capture 6 16 KB.PNG (32.46 KiB) Viewed 361 times
ronald739

PreviousNext

Return to Support