[Solved] WIMBoot and other questions

For all your technical questions and concerns.

Re: [Solved] WIMBoot and other questions

Postby admin » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:49 pm

Your excluded folders are also automatically relocated, maybe that's what's going on, or it may be a system folder necessary to exclude.

How much free disk space do you have left on your Backup Disk? The relocations are done to your Backup Disk.

I know how you feel, my hunch is that it has more to do with the time of the year than the software.
ZIPmagic
The Next Generation Data Compression Platform
admin
Site Admin

Postby Joker » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:23 pm

I haven't excluded any files yet. This disk was compressed with the free version of the software with no additional configuration.

In case it is of any help, this is a 256GB Surface Pro 3. The backup disk is a 1TB USB 3.0 drive.

The first time I tried to uncompress the drive, it proceeded through the initial backup to the USB disk without error, only failing when it came to format C:, the errors experienced now early on are a new symptom.

Any ideas?
Joker

Postby admin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:17 am

To be honest, not really - I need more information to render any further assistance.

I would like to connect to your Pro 3 via a TV connection (TeamViewer), but first, I'd like to see screen captures of all of the errors you are receiving during your recent efforts.

It is also possible to drop down to the command line during processing as you may have noticed. There's a lot we can try.

This software was *built* on a Pro 3, so we'll figure it out.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby Joker » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:38 pm

Can you supply the password for the installer? The email isn't coming through.
Joker

Postby admin » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:41 pm

Really? How were you using it all this while then? The password has not changed.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby Joker » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:40 pm

I installed it in November last year with the password.

I uninstalled with the intention of reinstalling last night to retry a decompression. The email did not arrive on several addresses.

Thankfully the password was also in the purchase email, otherwise I still wouldn't have it.

I have attached a file showing the point where the process appears to break down. I allow Zipmagic to restart the system, where it goes straight into the compression/decompression screen.

It appears to back up excluded directories, then begins "formatting", as in the screenshot, however it never finishes. During this time I can open a command prompt to view C:, which is entirely unaffected.

Restarting the tablet brings up the Surface boot screen, which lingers for significantly longer than usual, before Windows 8.1 boots as normal.

I have tried 2 USB disks, same results with both. Doing the manual backup/restore you mentioned also yielded no success.

Is there a log file I can show you to try to get to the bottom of this?
Joker

Postby admin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:06 pm

A screenshot is not attached. Please try again, or upload to an image sharing site and share the URL.

If you are not receiving our emails, please ensure to whitelist our domains across your entire email stack.

You can find the log at the root of the drive you are processing.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby Joker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:04 pm

Screenshot is too large, I have uploaded to OneDrive:
https://jp410-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/p ... A?e=Ti50Id
Joker

Postby admin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:32 pm

Very interesting.

Since it seems to be stuck here somehow, let's try a different approach.

1) Drop down to the command line.
2) Cancel the stuck progress (or, at least try to). Do NOT exit DoubleSpace.
3) Format the disk yourself from the command line. If there are any errors in doing so, that might be helpful to know.
4) Start another instance of DoubleSpace yourself from the command line by running pwimboot.exe.
5) Repeat the operation in the new instance.
6) When the second instance of DoubleSpace finishes running, let it reboot your system. If it cannot reboot automatically:
7) Start the Task Manager from the command line, exit everything, and kill the stuck instance of DoubleSpace to reboot.

If that doesn't itself solve your problem, it should at least provide more clues!

Good luck.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby Joker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:13 pm

Hi,

Before I go ahead with this, will my data be safe in the 40GB WIM file that is successfully created on the external disk?

Will this be restorable somehow regardless of the outcome?

I do not want to lose this data.
Joker

PreviousNext

Return to Support