[Solved] WIMBoot and other questions

For all your technical questions and concerns.

Re: [Solved] WIMBoot and other questions

Postby Joker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:47 pm

This hopefully will yield a clue:
https://jp410-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/p ... A?e=4f26RW

This error appears when I try to run format with any parameters. If I run it from C:, the error path refers to C:\Windows\System32\fsutil.dll, if I run it from X:, the error path reflects this.

I have run sfc.exe to no avail. Thoughts?
Joker

Postby admin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:40 pm

Yes of course, unless you end up formatting that disk instead - drive letters *may* change in the exclusive DoubleSpace processing environment, to be sure to check the contents of the disk you are formatting on the command line (using commands like dir) to ensure you've got the right drive letter before moving forward.

Also, another thing you can try is to reset your Surface Pro 3, install ZIPmagic, and then do a System Restore (Uncompressed) from your Backup Disk. That would also work and probably get around whatever is holding up your progress in the current configuration.

In fact, if you have a second device, you could even attempt your System Restore there. This will in effect Clone your system, in the exact state it was when you last updated your Backup Disk.

One of these will get you to the happy ending :lol:
ZIPmagic
The Next Generation Data Compression Platform
admin
Site Admin

Postby Joker » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:55 pm

If I perform a clean install of Windows 8,1, with the same default partition layout as originally, then install ZipMagic and do the restoration, should this also work?
Joker

Postby admin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:27 pm

Joker wrote:This hopefully will yield a clue:
https://jp410-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/p ... A?e=4f26RW

This error appears when I try to run format with any parameters. If I run it from C:, the error path refers to C:\Windows\System32\fsutil.dll, if I run it from X:, the error path reflects this.

I have run sfc.exe to no avail. Thoughts?

Ah, that explains it.

Your recovery partition is incompatible with ZIPmagic, and it cannot support the format command as a result.

Is your version of Windows 8.1 pre-Update 1?

Do you have any chance to use Windows 10 instead of Windows 8.1?

That would provide you with the best experience.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:28 pm

Joker wrote:If I perform a clean install of Windows 8,1, with the same default partition layout as originally, then install ZipMagic and do the restoration, should this also work?

I would have said yes, but the issue with your recovery partition would probably remain, blocking all format efforts.
ZIPmagic
admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Support